5 maggio 2013

Sugarless Strawberry Jam, first experiment - WHB # 382


la ricetta in italiano qui


Strawberries season is back!.
And I'm very very happy 'cause I can start to make jams, the jars are impatient to wait in the pantry, sometimes it seems to me they rattle together  to remember me they want to be filled with good things ... and possibly sweets!
After readin Sugar Blues I try to substitute unhealthy sugar with something more appropriate.
And trying to convince my boys too, unfortunately without much success.
Well, sugar obviously has not disappeared from my pantry (as they would buy on their own anyway :-), but when possible I replace it, with more or less satisfactory results ... but tests and experiments continue :-).
No way to say they did not like this jam too much, just spread on bread alone. But as a filling combined with almonds in a braid sweet bread (without b., without s., without m. :-), and only a light dusting of brown sugar on top, has been accepted and the snack guaranteed! Soon the recipe of the braid too.


 confettura fragole senza zucchero


As first experiment I used a little pectin (but once used I read on the box that it contained a little sugar, suppose very little as the bag weighed 25 g :-) … me miserable, it's a strong battle!
But next time will try with kudzu, as not yet much confident with agar agar, still not have a good feeling with algae in general, just the word makes me shiver … the only I liked were the fries I used to eat so many years ago in London at  Mr. Chow.

I preferred to sweeten with a clear rice syrup (cousin of barley malt but blonde color) and apple juice, to be sure they would not alter the color of the fruit (when I used concentrated apple juice to preserve onions it unfortunately darkened to brown the beautiful red onions).


confettura fragole senza zucchero  


For 4 jars:

1 kilo strawberries
20 g pectin
juice of half/one lemon
200 g rice syrup
100 g unsweetened apple juice
a few drops vanilla liquid extract


 confettura fragole senza zucchero


Briefly rinse strawberries, discard petiole and cut into small pieces.
Combine in a large saucepan (I use the bassine à confiture) with the other ingredients, stir well and bring to a boil.
Simmer over medium/high heat for about 10/15 minutes, turn off and let stand covered for half a day.
Bring to the boil again, cook 10/15 minutes more, pour into cleaned jars and sterilize.
Jam can be lightly blended if you do not like pieces.

I can not guarantee a long storage time, as the 4 jars were all gone at once (two jars to my favorite friends, who appreciated very much :-).
If the jars are placed properly read vacuum, there is no danger of contamination, then preservation is assured.
Once you open the jar, better to consume it within 15 days.




This recipe is my personal entry to WHB # 382
hosted by Elena from Zibaldone Culinario
both for English and Italian edition.
Thanks again to Haalo who manages greatfully all events,
to Bri for Italian edition.
Thanks again to Kalyn for her successfull idea!



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

grazie della visita e gentilmente firma sempre i tuoi commenti!
thanks for passing by and please sign up your comments!

Template Design | Elque 2007